If you have been arrested and charged with operating while intoxicated, it is important to educate yourself regarding the validity of being pulled over in the first place. It is important to find attorney services in Cedar Rapids that can examine if the officer made a crucial mistake in your OWI case.
- An invalid investigatory stop
- A police officer must have reasonable suspicion to stop your vehicle. Reasonable suspicion requires a clear reason for stopping you other than mere suspicion and the officer must be able to support his or her basis for the traffic stop. Traffic violations and equipment violations are typical examples of proper investigatory stops, but other stops for conduct that does not amount to a specific traffic violation can be challenged.
- An out-of-uniform unmarked vehicle stop
- Off-duty police officers who are neither in uniform nor in a marked vehicle are prohibited from making traffic stops. Such a stop causes evidence obtained to be suppressed and thrown out of court.
- An improper administration of field sobriety tests
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has three standardized field sobriety tests for citizens that the arresting officer must understand, properly administer, and properly evaluate in order for the conclusion regarding intoxication or impairment to be supported by research.
- Hostile attitude
- Some officers can simply not bring themselves to be civil to suspects, defendants, or their attorneys. These officers often display behavior that is unprofessional and demeaning to the entire justice system. Sarcastic comments during the investigation, name-calling, or other derogatory comments simply take away the officer’s professionalism and the jury’s perception of the officer’s fairness.
- Unfairness and lack of objectivity
- Some officers cannot be impartial observers and admit that a subject passed any testing administered. Often videotapes expose the inaccuracy of these reports.
Don’t take the risk of being unfairly convicted of operating while intoxicated. Contact us for attorney services in Cedar Rapids today to go over every detail of your case.